Breakpoints

RANDOM BLOG POSTS

24.11.07

Faith or Fake

What makes a person a believer? Many people would say that sometimes you just need faith, others would say it's better to see or hear with your own senses before believing. I'd say initially in our life we tend to be the first premise as we rely on adults such as our parents, teachers or other elders as our source of knowledge. During that time we don't need to rationalize as we are forced to believe that they know better than us. But as we grow and assimilate in-your-face facts we encounter in our daily struggle our faith weakens. A lot of things gets clearer in our minds and our logic and reasoning suddenly weigh more than what they're teaching us. They call this stage of one's life many names one in particular is 'adolescent angst'. Usually as an effect of seeing the truth, we lose respect to these so-called morality guardians; parents, teachers and especially the revered people of the church. We rebel that's what they say.

Religion is a prickly subject. Sometimes discussing it would end you up in a heated argument. Some people even loses it whenever you don't agree with them. I had my shares and most of the time they call me agnostic, atheists or the worst a 'son-of-devil'. I kept mum to any of these because I should know myself better. Now, don't get me wrong I am neither one of those labels believe me. I just have my own way of seeing things differently and that's all. One time me and a female co-worker discussed the veracity of the Holy Bible. She asked me if I read and believe it. I said yes but I do not believe everything in it only some parts that are credible enough to win my adoration and really put it in practice. Stubbornly she blurted out, "why not the whole?" It's because some of the passages are illogical and may have been outdated already. And others have been twisted to fit whatever the church wants us to think. Guess what happened next? She deliberately called me an atheist or the son-of-devil because I do not believe the Holy Bible in its entirety. To this I kept mum. You think a godless person would just sit and shut his mouth after all that swearing? I think not.

Now after reading the first two paragraphs above you might be led that indeed I am agnostic or an atheist. Would it surprise you if I say I still go to church, prayer meetings or even bible studies whenever I can? Most of the time I get smirks from the other attendees (hmmmmmm so much for hypocrisy) but I don't mind them at all. Sad to say this does not mean that I have been converted. Yet my principles and beliefs are still intact, nothing new nothing less. It's just that I am still holding on to the thought that there's someone or something(human-like, alien, or concept) above all of us omnipresent-ly taking open-minded care of his creatures. A supreme being of wit and wisdom to understand and withstand the flaws of human race. After all of what I have shared, this question might be bugging you; 'What drives people to change their view about something?'

Recently a friend told me a shocking revelation. Something about religious congregations. Obviously it was the reason he defected and now living a normal life. The revelation is so shocking I again started questioning, again my views were challenged. I know we are already plagued of such and such all over the media, however it's different if it is a first-hand information. Now I know why they're so quick to impose that faith should be beyond reason which gives them immense power and authority over their herds. Poor believers who have succumbed to misleading teachings of the church. I pity them. To give you a hint on what he revealed I'm posting these film clips, old and new;










Let me ask you once again, have I changed your view?



1 comment:

Quentin X said...

I do agree with you. I refuse to go to church these days. I cannot stand the hypocrisy that goes on inside and outside the church. People forget to live the essence of being with or of God.