Breakpoints

RANDOM BLOG POSTS

19.11.07

What's cooking? The New Menudo - that is!

I remember I was a teeny bopper then when I got infatuated with Madonna in her playboy magazine and with the then-famous boyband of my days; Menudo. But much to my surprise I am more aroused when I see the naiveness and the freshness of Ricky Martin. He became one of the subjects of my many cream dream that plague me almost every night. And in my true fashion, I became obsessed with him that I started doing choreography of almost all of their dance songs, one in particular "Like an Explosion". I even started imitating them wearing those striped socks that lands just below the knee in its length which they have sported in the 80's or what we called "the menudo look".

Little did I know that I am already showing my true colors to which it didn't escaped the attention of my classmates who begun teasing me. It didn't bother me at all since I am still in my teenage and happy go-lucky kind of life, and don't mind the sexual connotation of being labeled as "bakla (queer)". Now that I am in my adult life I was amazed to have stumbled upon the plan of reviving Menudo, which tickled all the memory and I started reminiscing.

Now, so much about my so-called life let's begin with Menudo's then and now. The group's originator was Edgardo Diaz of Puerto Rico, he tried a lot of combination of five boys and every member who reaches the age of 16 has to leave the group in the hopes of g
iving the group immortality.The group's name was coined when her sister, upon seeing the boys rehearsals under their driveway exclaimed, "Que mucho menudo hay aqui!", menudo which thus in this phrase means young men was stuck and eventually became the group's name. Over the years the group were continuously evolving with every change of member and has continued doing tours mall to mall or in every available TV show that they can perform. When he had grouped Charlie, Ray, Roy, Robbie and the most popular of them all; Ricky Martin (my crush)



that was the time he gained international attention as far as Philippines and Japan. Sadly when all the members have outgrown the age that they should be, and all of the said members were already out, the new ones have failed
to compare in its popularity or fame, little by little they faded in the music scene. Eventually the name was sold to a Venezuelan investors.

Fast forward to 2007, just when the Reality TV sprouted like mushrooms after a storm, a show was made for reviving the group entitled "Making Menudo" an
d it was aired on MTV primetime. According to Menudo Entertainment the formula used for the old Menudo will be the same but this time with a twist, the age of staying in the group which was 16 was lengthened to 20. Giving more opportunities for the members to strut their stuff. The new Menudo's first single will be "More Than Words" on the same album name and sung by Jose (15), Chris(15), Emmanuel (16), Monti(18) and Carlos(18).



Their sound will have an urban/pop/rock feel in both English and Spanish versions.


Bring them on and let's see if one of them can steal my heart just like Ricky did.

No comments: